Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day 2- Adjusting

I expected to have trouble sleeping, but I guess the tiredness did it's work. Slept like a baby, and woke up at 06:59.
Seems that I am not experiencing jet lag, which is good as I was a little panicked that it would be hard for me to adjust to the seven hours time difference between here and back home. Thanks to Oana for advising me not to sleep at all during the trip.

A few impressions:

-There is no hot water. Because you do not need it. It's hot enough, and when you go in the shower and get past the initial goosebumps generating shock, you fell quite refreshed.

-I get the feeling that people here are a little full of themselves. This being said by me, a person that most will characterize as arrogant and full of himself, at least as a first impression. So, who am I to judge?

The public transportation, at least the carritos publicos, is very surprising for a European used to civilized cars and comfortable traveling. These carritos publicos are practically cars that are very old and torn apart, that travel predesigned routes (usually along the major boulevards), and that fit usually six people: two in front near the driver and four in the back. The driver is interested in keeping the car full at all times, so you frequently see him signaling with the horn to the by standers on the sidewalk that look like they may be waiting for a "transportation opportunity". I you are thin as I am, than it really is not that uncomfortable.
Of course, it's not even remotely comfortable, but it's among the only reasonably priced means of transportation, so you have to get used to it.

-Our apartment/ office is great. We live in a building that has at the first floor a plaza (office spaces and some shopping stores) and at the second and third floor two duplex apartments, one of them inhabited by us, AIESEC DR. At the first floor we have the office, two bathrooms and then kitchen, and at the second we have two sleeping rooms and a bathroom.
It looks very ok even by european standards, with most of the things in proper working order.
Overall I am delighted with it, and it's one of the best things so far.

On the flip side, we have ants. They are vey small and kind of white, and they are everywhere. If you leave food on the table or you drop some on the floor, in less than 5 min it's filled with them. They seem harmeless but are a noticeable presence.

Today we went to an event in the old part of the city dedicated to Colombia, as we have two fine representatives of this glorious country in our team. It was very nice and I got a chance to get contact with merengue and some other dances that I have no idea what they are called.
I promised myself that I will spend my time here learning to dance "latino style".

Long live Colombia!

3 comments:

Alexandra Ragalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexandra Ragalie said...

Still learning how to post comments :)

Hopefully dearest you will learn all those dances with strange names :) as much of them were born in the Dominican Republic... :)

Love,
Alexandra

Alex Ragalie said...

for sure, learned last night the basic steps of bachata and merengue.

now all I need are some hot chicks to teach me all about the moves :P

Post a Comment