Saturday, August 2, 2008

Day 14- Meeting the Alumnis

Two days ago we met with the alumni of AIESEC in the Dominican Republic.....a chance for me to meet some of the champion supporters of @ in this country.
After the meeting, there were two strong feelings I had:

-remembering how frustrating it can be to be an alumni, to want to offer to AIESEC but not being asked for help.
I understand and accept that every organization will be more concentrated internally than on the entities outside (and in an unfortunate way alumnis tend to be looked at as outside entities) and that you tend to get sidetracked from focusing on these when having lots of projects, recruitment and selling to do.

On the other hand, I feel I can truly contribute to this aspect as a person that has been on the Alumni side. I know that they only have so much time and resources to give, but if channelled properly the involvement of each of them will ALWAYS amount to something significant in the end for the organization.

-feeling the potential to motivate of these "sacred monsters" (as we use to say in Romania) for the new and present members.
For me personally, there have been very few truely motivating things in AIESEC bigger than a respected Alumni talking with feeling and belief about what the organization can bring to you as a person.

Overall a very nice meeting (met one of the founders of AIESEC in Dominican Republic, 20 years ago) that has made me think about ways in which I can contribute to this aspect.

0 comments:

Post a Comment