Thursday, November 6, 2008

Day 111-On the difference in quality of life

What  do you mean when you say that “the quality of life in X country is lower/higher than in Y”?

I am not talking about the textbook explanation, but about things that have a real impact on you when living in another place.

In my case, as living in Latin America for three months already, the difference is very significant and it is slowly starting to get to me.

Come to think about it, the best way to describe it is to say that its all in the details.
For example, the way in which the cashier at the supermarket looks and talks to you.
Or they way in which people talk to each other.
Or the way in which the electricity goes out for 4 hours every single day.

It really is a very subjective discussion, but what is clear for me is that I do not want to live in a place where every small detail annoys and stresses me.

You might say it is all part of the famous “cultural shocks” that we keep talking about in AIESEC, and I agree with you that it is.

But that does not mean that I have to like or accept these "differences".

In the end, I believe it comes down to how much you are willing to compromise, and if you have a real choice or not.

So, today’s question to my readers that have/had cultural shocks, is:

Where did you draw the line between being willing to adapt and refusing to compromise?

2 comments:

Brahms said...

When it came to my deep down embedded values.

It is very easy to find what annoys u in X, it is very hard to find what pleases u in X as it might need thinking, reflecting,..etc which means time and effort, as human beings we sometimes take the easy way out and just.........

I think it aint about accepting or rejecting differences anymore in our world, i feel it is about cherishing these differences.

Dey Dos said...

I did draw that line in my purpose to be there...
If it is for living, like now in Portugal, I will not accept situations that stress me out, that is why I am so happy here, there are differences, but they do not stress me more than what they will in a known environment... otherwise, I will just pack and move... There is no way I am going to change the whole culture of a city or a country :)

But if I am in the place for a while, to do a job, to commit to something, then I am smaller than my stress, my purpose is bigger and that drives me, slowly all those things disappear and I find myself actually being happy living with them, like it did happened to me in Macedonia and Africa...

It is your purpose of being there so meaningful that it is bigger than yourself for the time being? Otherwise, based on my experience, I doubt you will get and give the best...

Well, that is based on my experience, my truth, not The Truth :)
I hope this is food for thought :)

Love tons,

Dey

PS: I was very successful in managing change in those countries by letting my purpose of being there bigger than myself, and the reason why this happened - I think - it is because people around you can perceive that commitment and feel empowered and encouraged to commit themselves too... Leadership some people call that... I wish you a smaller you during your time in DR...

Post a Comment