Sunday, November 9, 2008

Day 114- Bahia de la Aguilas and driving skills

Today we went on the 6 hours trip (one way only) to see the nicest, most beautiful, natural and unspoiled beaches in the whole of Dominican Republic.

How was it?

Sand, sea and sun.
Nothing special, just.....what you would expect from a normal beach, with normal sand...and sun....and water.






I do have to admit that there were less people than at the other beaches and that the boat trip to get to the beach was different than your normal "let's go to the beach experience".

The trip to see a thing such as Bahia de las Aguilas is definitely NOT worth it.



Buuuuuut, I have had joy to live the worst driving experience ever, contributing, this time for good, to my decision of not going in cars that I do not drive myself.

We went 11 people in two 4X4's , one of them driven by a Dominican guy and the other driven by a Colombian.
With the Dominican, it all makes sense, as for them is normal not to have even a minimum common sense or fear of dangers, or knowledge of proper driving techniques and etiquette.
With the Colombian, let's just say that he had absolutely ZERO consideration for potential dangers.

Imagine two children put behind a wheel for the first time, trying to show off and prove their manliness by pushing the accelerator.
Bear in mind not even in a proper mechanical gearbox car but in lazy american-like automatics.
Brainless pressing of the pedal.
None of them knew the cars, but we sped with 160km/h on roads filled with pigs, cows and people on motorcycles.


At one time, we even spun out of control on a side road and stopped about one meter short of hitting a concrete pillar.

But that is nothing compared to the "creamy" experience of entering a curve on the opposite side, and staying there until you get out of the curve.
With no visibility.
And I am not talking about something that happened once or twice, but in EVERY curve.


Really, it is amazing for me how these people still manage to survive every day with such a high level of intelligence, preparation for the future and sense of danger.

Bear in mind that this is the second time this happens to me while going with a Dominican driver in the Dominican Republic.
This raises some questions about my own level of intelligence right?

Now that I think about it.....it makes sense.
How can you know how to properly drive if all your experience in based on moving around all day in the city at 60km/h?

Thank God that this is an island and most of these specimens cannot escape from here.



12 hours of pure butt-clenching pleasure, and 1 hour on a beach.
That was my day.



Overall a crappy weekend, with life threatening situations and lots of "bad vibes".


Well......at least I did the only thing I really wanted to do before leaving this place.

2 comments:

Dey Dos said...

Will be cool to know how you feel about the whole experience once you calm down and let it sink :)

But I love the way you have just let your feelings go through your fingers into the screen :)

Alex Ragalie said...

Well, if by "sink in" you mean once I am more calm, now I am writing the comment after a good nights sleep.

And I can tell you I feel the same.

Its not that the whole experience was not interesting in any way, just that it made me think a lot about the fact that there are situations when I simply do not want to give control away.

The reason is that I cannot bear the thought that I am under the control of people who are less than me.
When we are talking about nature or fate (as it was the case with my trip to IC in Brazil or in a hurricane), then it simply happens and I have to deal with it.
But in this case I put myself on the line, doing it consciously.

Which should not happen again.

I know it might seem strange, as for example I put myself on the line with the bus driver, or the pilot of the plane.
Still, it is a different story, as those people have at least the past experience or if not then at the least the reasoning needed to understand that they are risking the life of a lot of people.

Logically, this argument still does not make sense, are there are also crazy bus driver and airplane pilots.

But, overall, statistically, there are less chances of something happening with a professional than with a "hot shot" behind the wheel that wants to show off.
Simply because of past experience.

I don't know if what I write above makes sense, but for it sure does.

Post a Comment